5.12.2011

DIY Growth Chart

My baby just turned one and I found myself frantically looking for a growth chart to start before it was too late. I couldn't believe how hard it was to find one that wasn't too cutesy, too expensive, or too gender specific. I wanted the chart to be used for our whole family, and something tough enough that we would be able to move it from place to place as life goes on.

Since nothing seemed to fit my needs I decided to make my own. Here is how I did it:

Materials:

- 5 1/2 foot piece of flat white baseboard (you can get this and also get it cut at any home improvement store)
- ruler
- one package of sticker letters/numbers in desired color
- pencil
- scissors

Step 1
Use your ruler and pencil to mark every foot and inch on your baseboard. Start at 18" at the bottom of your board.


Step 2
Cut up some of the letters you won't be using to make the large marks for the ruler at each foot marking. Add the corresponding numbers next to the markings.




Step 3
Next I took took the letters and arranged them so that each word was centered between a foot. Mine reads "Ward Growth Chart" but of coarse yours could say anything you wanted.



Step 4
Take the remaining letters/numbers that are left over and cut smaller pieces of sticker for every one inch mark.



Step 5
Hang it on the wall 1 1/2 feet from the ground and mark your heights. You can hang it with a hook or nails. Just make sure that it is secure enough that your kids can't pull it off of the wall.

And here it is... simple, modern, i love it.


Question: My only concern is that over time my kids will try to pull the stickers off. I think I should probably prevent that in some way. I was thinking modge podge or maybe a varnish? I just want to preserve it while still being able to write on it. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

  1. I was going to say the same about the stickers!! Mine would never leave it alone. I was thinking permanent marker instead but I'll check back here to see if anyone has any other ideas! I love the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you cover over the stickers with mod podge or a polyurethane to seal them down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a very nice growth chart! Ours is also a piece of baseboard but every year we just write the names with line where they are. (No nice stickers like yours.) I'm so glad we made it removable b/c we are moving next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous20.5.11

    Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [21 May 02:15am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could always paint the marks on!

    ReplyDelete